This Page

has been moved to new address

Remembrance Day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
For the easily distracted...: Remembrance Day

This Page

has been moved to new address

Remembrance Day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
For the easily distracted...: Remembrance Day

Thursday, 11 November 2010

Remembrance Day

Last year I shared In Flanders Field by John McCrae in Remembrance, however this year I have dug out my photos from ten years ago(!) from a visit to Ypres in Belgium with my High School when I was 15.

I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere (perhaps here) that I always used to use 35mm film until I went to university - and here are some of the photos from my Dad's old Canon 35mm camera that I borrowed just for the trip. I remember I used one film a day which goes to show things haven't really changed that much in 10 years...


At 15, I didn't really understand the scale of lives that were sacrificed during the World Wars, both soldiers and civilians, and I remember being completely overwhelmed with sorrow at each cemetory and museum we visited.

Having visited Auschwitz this year - I am still overwhlemed with sorrow yet I was also reminded that it is so important to learn from history and to remember.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

beautiful photos and a lovely message Rhianne!

Whilst reading that book i mentioned today i'm slowly starting to fully understand what they all went through, very very brave men!

x

11 November 2010 at 10:21  
Blogger jenny stardust said...

nice pictures! i used 35 mm before too.

oh i agree with you rhianne.. so sad.

11 November 2010 at 12:49  
Blogger ana said...

what a lovely & touching post. these photos are marvelous.

11 November 2010 at 14:59  
Blogger daisychain said...

these photos are so haunting, wonderful post.

11 November 2010 at 17:40  
Anonymous GeeGee said...

you had a good eye for composition even then :P I think mine are such a mess aged 15!

11 November 2010 at 21:46  
Blogger Lucie - A Taste Of Vogue said...

Such a beautiful dedication!

x

12 November 2010 at 05:11  
Blogger Bee. said...

I've been on the whole battlefields tour twice and each time it was overwhelmingly emotional. We need to remember them in order to protect our future.

12 November 2010 at 11:52  
Blogger Melissa said...

What beautiful photos. My grandpa served in two wars and I'd loved to see the sites where it all happened.

12 November 2010 at 18:42  
Blogger Micaela said...

oh my goodness... seeing your beautiful photographs-- wow. i may never get the honor to go there but thanks to your beautiful photographs i can experience the power of what was given up for those who's tombstones are marked-- your photos are that beautiful.

13 November 2010 at 03:35  

Post a Comment

I love love love getting comments! Have a wonderful day and thanks for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home