This Page

has been moved to new address

Discussing Pinterest...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
For the easily distracted...: Discussing Pinterest...

This Page

has been moved to new address

Discussing Pinterest...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
For the easily distracted...: Discussing Pinterest...

Friday, 9 March 2012

Discussing Pinterest...

I've been debating with myself whether to post this or not - I don't usually wade into these discussions within the blog world but this time I think its important that I say what I want to say... Please be aware though that this is only my opinion from reading other articles, researching and drawing my own conclusions, this is not legal advice.

After 3 years of blogging, I often feel like a 'blogging old biddy', watching the blogosphere grow with new blogs arriving, older blogs quietly fading away and myself, plodding along steadily, sharing my photos, trying to support others and do what I do. Most of the time, I watch/read and feel incredibly proud and sometimes I just shake my head, a bit bemused.
This time however, I am, to be frank - angry and frustrated...

Not long after starting my blog, I decided that I wasn't happy reblogging other peoples work, or using other peoples photos on posts - for one, I didn't want to upset other bloggers/photographers by taking their work and using it, and the complications of copyright, licensing and stealing honestly just disturbed me... so I started taking my own photos to share on here and I guess really, that is one of the main reasons that my photos came about - they are mine to share and post here under my terms and I value that.

Sometimes I find something so amazing that I want to share it with you and in those cases, I approach the blogger/photographer and ask for their permission before I post it on here... for me it is the right thing to do. Of course, I'm not saying everyone has to do that - in fact Pia, Erin and Yvette have already put together a fantastic poster that essentially covers everything you should think about before posting other peoples images anywhere and if you do have any doubts, I highly recommend it as a great place to start.

Pinterest came around at very convenient time for me - I was in the process of deleting my Tumblr and even though my Tumblr was very pretty and easy on the eye, it was full of reblogged entries without sources or credit and as hard as I tried, there was no way for me to make it right or feel comfortable with the process, so I deleted it.

Pinterest seemed different - first, it was a site that always had the sources of the images available and I loved that - if I shared something with people then they could immediately get to the source themselves and know whose work it was, I still think that this is something amazing about the site and I love the community feel about it. I also love the concept of it and the fact that it seems to be such a great way to share things with my friends as well as bookmark things for myself.

So, why I am I frustrated?

I am frustrated because as a blogger - etiquette, copyright, licensing, right of use and doing things properly is important to me, as an artist, the use of my work and terms that are applied to them are important to me and as a member of the Pinterest community, my legal responsibilites and protection  are important to me. And if these things are important to you too, then I think you should be equally as frustrated.

So, why the Pinterest confusion?

A lot of people are confused about Pinterest because even on About page - Pinterest says that it is a virtual pinboard. It says that Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web." However, when you read the terms, you realise that this isn't what it lets you do.

How do the Pinterest terms affect you as a 'Pinner'?

First, to pin any content, you agree that "You are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site"- you "are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content" or what you are uploading will not "infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights"
So either you own the content, or it is content that you or Pinterest will not get in trouble for using.

 Of course, if this was a blogging site then that would seem fine -I would be happy with that - I do only post images on here which are mine, or images that I will not get in trouble for using - by asking for permission to use them on my blog. But Pinterest isn't a blog and it doesn't claim to be... and how do you 'find' something that you already own? 

Secondly, Pinterest contradicts its own terms by saying 'Credit your Sources' and 'Avoid Self Promotion'. If I am crediting my sources then that means I am not using images that I own, and more likely - images that I would actually get in trouble for using... I love the idea of crediting when sharing, but not if it means that I am actually declaring that I own something which I don't. Also, how do I avoid self promotion if the only thing that I have the right to pin are items that I own?

So the chances are that, due to the Pinterest terms, the fact that you probably don't own all the images you pin, and the fact that most images will be protected by copyright, patent or trademark somehow - you are illegally pinning images onto your boards.

Of course, this may never be an issue for you - it's only really an issue if the person who actually owns the content rightfully makes a fuss about this.
However just because something is unlikely to happen, this does not make it right. 

Unbelievably, this isn't actually the part that actually upsets me the most - in many ways, like Tumblr, this would just make me delete my account and I probably will, as I don't want to declare images as mine when they aren't and that is fine, it is my choice, I can't agree to their terms if I want to use their site the way that it is intended.

How do the Pinterest terms affect you as a content owner?

(Update 27.03.2012 - Pinterest have updated their terms to address the following,
so this is no longer relevant)


  As a photographer/owner of content this is where I get very upset and confused and to be honest, its also the point at where Pinterest stops being a nice, social, sharing website site for me. Not only do you first have to declare that you own the pin when you agree to the Pinterest terms, but also:


"By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sub license, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services"


Um, I'm sorry, but what? Why is this even there? Why do Pinterest need licence for most of these things?! Public display, I understand... that is effectively what their site does - but modify? licence? SELL?! To who? Why?
Why would I upload my own images onto Pinterest so that they could use them like that? For free? 


Now I'm not saying that Pinterest have sold any images, as far as I'm aware, they don't... but the very existence of this term, means that they could, although I can imagine it is unlikely.
However just because something is unlikely to happen, this does not make it right.


So why does Pinterest have these terms?

I'm not stupid, you're not stupid... we all understand at some level about copyrighting, stealing, right of use... and Pinterest to be fair to them are just trying to cover their own backs, however in doing so they have made their site redundant. Although you can pin your own content to share legally, you have to agree to some very specific terms as to what Pinterest can then do with those images and try as you might, you can not 'share all the beautiful things you find on the web" lawfully.


What others have said:

But isn't that similar to an image of yours coming up in a Google search?

Ok, now that is tough – as far as I am aware and can find out - legally it’s not the same, as Google do not have terms that mean they have the licensing agreements “to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content”. Google complies with Fair Use policies and is therefore a reference tool for the public.

In theory Pinterest could be viewed as the same, but as soon as it asks for a ‘worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license’ of content, then their intentions have changed – that statement alone means that the content isn’t just for public or fair use, but that it can be used for Pinterests gain. 

If you upload content onto the internet then you are at risk anyway, how is this different?

Like I said before, I am not stupid and you are not stupid. Most photographers/artists/content owners work very hard to make sure that they retain the licencing to their work and if they do upload it onto the internet then it is on their terms - my photos are mostly on here (where I have my little note and copyright buttons) and on Flickr - whose terms I am happy with. I don't put my images onto Facebook, I don't trust them and most of my images are on here are through Flickr as I don't trust Blogger at the moment, especially with Google+.
And again, just because it happens elsewhere, it doesn't make it right.

So now what and how did this happen?

Honestly, I don't know... in some ways I am more frustrated with myself for not taking the time to find out about Pinterest properly, but at the same time, Pinterest contradicts itself and suggests that it is something which it isn't... It seemed so good - you shared, you credited, no one got hurt, but of course, that's not how things work out. I can see what it wants to be and I love the concept, but its current terms mean that there is no way it can be used as it was originally intended and with the complications of copyright, licensing, right of use and fair use laws, I have no idea how they can rectify the situation.

All I can do is remove the pins that I have put on there and perhaps even ask people to remove my photos from their boards with a heavy heart - I've already been approached by someone to do that and I was happy to oblige.

I hope this helps people understand a little bit and you can understand my frustration with the matter - I am not 100% certain that I am correct on all these points, but this is how I see them after researching as much as I could and reading and rereading the Pinterest terms and until I can see a way that this isn't how it is, then I don't think I can keep using Pinterest in the same way as I did before.

So, what do you think about Pinterest? How do you see the situation?


Further reading:
The Window Seat - where I first read about it and probably a more concise read. haha.
Blogging with Amy - an interesting read with tips for bloggers included.


p.s. if you read all of this, you are a hero!

 



Labels:

36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good write up. Just because Pinterest don't sell them it doesn't mean that the holding company of Pinterest Inc don't. If they own pinterest they own its assets and your photos are its assets thefore there is nothing stopping them starting a getty type page and flogging them worry free and well free of license. I won't be pinteresting.

9 March 2012 at 11:53  
Blogger mizhenka said...

The terms are rather concerning. I'd never read them before (to be honest, I rarely do). I like Tumblr and Pinterest, when credit is given, because I like the option to bookmark images/web pages I like without clogging up my hard drive and bookmarks bar. Now I'm torn because I like Pinterest, but not their terms. I can see why a lot of people would be unhappy, but personally, I don't mind if people were to reblog my content, because I take photographs to share them and welcome more hits (I hardly get any, haha) - but I don't like the idea of someone else being able to profit from them. Thank you for bringing this up, though! I'm going to think long and hard about what to do wit my account.

9 March 2012 at 12:17  
Blogger Hey Harriet said...

I read it all! I'm a hero! Yippeeee!

In all seriousness, that's a great blog post. The fact that Pinterest contradicts itself just leaves me confused and wondering what to do with my account now. I don't know what I'm meant to be pinning and I'm leaning towards deleting my account but just can't quite bring myself to do it yet... Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

9 March 2012 at 12:19  
Blogger Rhianne said...

I agree the profiting is what frustrates me the most, I don't profit from my work, so why should they?

I actually didn't mind people pinning my photos to start with, and I'm sure most peoples intentions are good but the licencing term has really annoyed me.

Thank you for reading and commenting :)

9 March 2012 at 12:23  
Blogger Rhianne said...

I know what you mean, I can't delete mine either - I love my sewing DIY's :( and I want to make skirts but the sites I found them on are still there so really, I can bookmark them somewhere else... the contradictions are the problem though, I agree.

and thank you, you are a hero!

9 March 2012 at 12:27  
Blogger jenny stardust said...

thank you Rhianne for this post. i just removed my blogpost about pinterest. i've been wondering about this since when i first got on it.. 1. pinning things i find on the web.. It's impossible to track the original source of photos, esp when finding them on peoples blogs who refer to other peoples blogs and so on. 2. if pinterest is intended to show my own work, it is not things i "find and pin on to boards" on the web. 3. You wrote: "So either you own the content or it is content that you or Pinterest will not get in trouble for using".. does this mean we are only allowed to pin things without copyright or stock photos etc? 4. I can't "find" things that i already own, which makes this confusing, why do pinterest use the word "find" when it is not correct for that context?. 5. Other peoples work are NOT mine, i do NOT claim ownership of it when i pin it or repin it, it is strange that pinterest would have that approach and thereby have people lying -in the context of "finding photos on the web to pin". Bottom line is.. Pinterest is not a good website. Thanks for sharing this Rhianne, i will delete mine today!

9 March 2012 at 12:41  
Blogger jenny stardust said...

why don't you trust blogger?

9 March 2012 at 13:10  
Blogger Rhianne said...

Perhaps distrust is too strong a term - I havent actually had any problems, but when Google+ first started, all the images that you had on blogger were visible on there - and they are also on Picasa - I just prefer to have my photos in one place rather than in a few where you can't keep track of them as well.

9 March 2012 at 14:05  
Blogger Rhianne said...

It is odd isn't it... the whole situation is very odd and frustrating. In regard to 3. I think it does yes.

and you're welcome :)

9 March 2012 at 14:10  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rhianne, this is so timely, as I'm in the midst of writing a Pinterest post. I'll definitely be linking to you. I've decided that, as much as it pains me, I'm going to delete my account. I've spent ages organizing it and making it visually appealing, but I can't in good conscious keep it until Pinterest makes some serious policy changes. *sigh*

9 March 2012 at 14:48  
Blogger Rhianne said...

It does seem to be a hot topic at the moment doesn't it... Conscience is a good word to use though Lindsay! It really rattles mine. It's heartbreaking though as I know how hard you've worked on yours and it does look great. Big sighs all round I think...

9 March 2012 at 14:59  
Blogger Franca said...

I'm quite worried about this too, and probably will stop using it. If i understand this correctly, there is another aspect to this too, apparently if someone sues Pinterest because it has copyrighted pictures on it, the person doing the pinning has to cover not only their own, but also pinterests'legal fees.

I'm with you on blogger. I am really, really annoyed about their heavy handed approach to google friend connect and i'll be deleting my google plus soon.

9 March 2012 at 15:22  
Blogger Rhianne said...

Wow, I didn't realise that too Franca, it definitely makes the risk factor much more expensive doesn't it!

I still can't get into Google+, I try occasionally, but it never happens

9 March 2012 at 15:34  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good lord - I can't believe I said 'conscious' instead of 'conscience...' lol

But yes - definitely heartbreaking, but I feel like it's becoming a moral issue of how far you're willing to go. Sad, but true!

9 March 2012 at 16:29  
Blogger Luzmaría Alam said...

I haven´t read the terms of pinterest, I have no idea.. honestly I repin and share photos in my blog to promote and of course I write link and artist, because thats the idea, I shared a tips from a post you made weeks ago
but I said keep reading here, hope you don´t get mad, but I did this without asking, because, you are not going to write a lots of email asking if you can help sharing an amazing post.. I shoul read more about pinterest.

9 March 2012 at 17:05  
Blogger Rhianne said...

Oh no of course, if you credited me then I'm happy love, its more that people seem to have no idea what could happen on Pinterest that bothers me... So don't worry about me.

9 March 2012 at 17:48  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did not realise this at all--I love how it will be your fault if you put it on your board even if you repinned it, that seems crazy.

And I can't believe they could use the photos for their own gain--and the legal fees thing freaked me out.

Now I don't know what to do with my account. Decisions, decisions.

9 March 2012 at 19:14  
Blogger Lynne said...

I get a lot of traffic to my website every day from Pinterest, and I'm happy to keep going with it. This week I spoke to a photographer who is an interiors photographer and a member of a professional photographers forum and they couldn't care less about it - it's all free advertising, and they've already been paid for their photos. If they don't want their pictures shared then they don't put them on the internet as JPEGS. I think the whole backlash is totally blown out of proportion. I agree their terms are confusing and I think they need to look at them, for sure - but who exactly do you think they're going to sell small, low-res images to? Of course people have a right to have their photos taken down, and photos should be correctly credited, but a lot of people are benefiting from Pinterest, too, in a good way.

9 March 2012 at 22:00  
Blogger Luzmaría Alam said...

Ok V_V I´m glad

9 March 2012 at 22:09  
Blogger Luzmaría Alam said...

I think like you, many bloggers and freelance artist take advantage of pinterest
can be a good tool, if you know how to used it , or if you care XD

9 March 2012 at 22:11  
Blogger Meghan said...

I really like this post! I do have a Pinterest account, but I find that I don't do much "pinning". But when I do put an image on my blog, regardless of where it is from, I always credit the source. After reading this and checking out the poster you linked to, I realized that even my crediting needs to have more info:) Anyway, I guess I am just kind of rambling, but you have given me a lot to think about! Thanks, Rhianne!

10 March 2012 at 18:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to research and write about this. Honestly, Pinterest, as many other sites, have pages and pages of terms of use and I can't be bothered to read all of it before I click on "accept". I could for that matter sell my soul to the devil and not be aware of it. However, it's no secret how those sites (Pinterest, Tumblr, Facebook...) really work and how little respect they actually have for their users. I still think Pinterest is a great tool and I know I'll keep on using it cause I don't really have an alternative. Sure I could delete my account but I get some much pleasure and inspiration out of my and other's boards that I would definitely miss it eventually. Call it laziness, I just go with the flow and try to make the best out of it and do my best to credit but they don't make it as easy for us as they like to pretend.

Great article Rhianne, thank you.
xxx

10 March 2012 at 18:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Interesting read on Pinterest. Having only had a quick browse I had never really thought of the repercussions- don't think I'll be getting myself an account!
I'm also posting for another reason- I am a keen (but fairly rubbish) analog photographer in my spare time and stumbled across you pot of the Leeds meet up you guys had at Christmas. Is there any way to gatecrash a future meeting?! Or is it more a friends thing? If not, I would love to meet some new, like-minded people!
Anyway, great blog- I'm glad I found it!

Hannan

10 March 2012 at 22:22  
Blogger Hila said...

There are so many things that concern me about Pinterest (and tumblr), that I don't think I can summarise them all here. But I did read your entire post :) Their legalities sound very familiar to facebook is some respects. I got off facebook a while ago, I'm not sure if I should do the same with Pinterest.

11 March 2012 at 05:56  
Blogger Diana said...

I think Pinterest is in the spotlight right now, and in a way I'm glad. If people took the time to read the terms of other photo programs (such as Instagram, Twitpic, and all other photo sharing apps) then this wouldn't be such a big deal. Just like everything else, you need to be careful. I did just begin reading the terms of everything after Hipstamatic came out with their Disposable Camera app and Katrina mentioned the terms. It was scary and it made me realize what else is out there.

As for Pinterest, I use it for traffic mostly, since we're being open here. I allow people to pin my photos but of course, I do want credit. As for Cold Brew Labs, I've yet to see them profitting off our photos, so I'm not too worried about it. The only things that do bother me are how people pin things I pinned from pinterest, even with a link of the original pin! This is one of the reasons I deleted my tumblr and weheartit account a couple years ago. It wasn't used correctly. I am really glad people are speaking up more, though. The more attention we give it, the more people will be educated on how to properly use it. I also think Pinterest is listening and since artists built the page, they will be driving to change the terms since other artists are speaking up. The more quiet we are, change won't happen. I'm not shocked at the terms, I'm just shocked people are just finding out. I think because of great articles like this, Pinterest will change.

11 March 2012 at 21:18  
Blogger Rhianne said...

the legal things freaked me out too - its definitely not worth the risk of pinning things if you don't know for sure if you have the rights to I think...

thanks for commenting.

12 March 2012 at 08:57  
Blogger Rhianne said...

Hmm, I've been thinking about your comment all weekend Lynne and unfortunately its only added to my frustratuions.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that some people, including you, are benefiting from Pinterest in a good way - especially those who have been paid for their images and those who pin the content they do have the rights to and get the traffic from it... I agree that it is a great marketing tool IF you use it the correct way and follow its terms and are happy with them.

However, a lot of people aren't using Pinterest that way and aren't even aware that what they are doing isn't correct and even though a small minority of pinners and content owners may suffer from the high risks of that - whether through pinning something they shouldn't or having their work pinned without permission. I still don't think that it is right for Pinterest to say that it is one thing, encourage that behaviour and then have different terms that contradict that and say how it should really be used...

Personally the benefits don't outweight the risks for me, I've never used it as a marketing/promotion tool, so I don't get any traffic from it - I've always used it as a personal pinboard resource which is what it claims to be and in doing that I've actually put myself more at risk than if I had used it for self promotion - which it discourages.

12 March 2012 at 09:58  
Blogger Rhianne said...

Thanks Meghan. I think its actually safer to put images on your blog at the moment than it is Pinterst with these as you aren't claiming them as your own or giving free licence to another company to use them as they see fit.

12 March 2012 at 10:05  
Blogger Rhianne said...

I think you're right, it's not as easy or clear cut as it seems and that is what is bothering me as it seemed so good... I love the inspiration too and I'm not going to delete my account just yet, but I won't be using it in the same way anymore I don't think...

12 March 2012 at 10:20  
Blogger Rhianne said...

Its difficult to decide isn't it, I'm still on Facebook but I hardly load anything onto it and I think thats what I'll be doing with Pinterest and hoping that they update the terms - or their description to reflect how the site should really be used.

12 March 2012 at 10:23  
Blogger Rhianne said...

I guess that really I'm not shocked with the terms either when you consider how other sites act and if Pinterest didn't encourage behaviour that contradicted those terms then I probably wouldn't be as bothered about it... but its the contradictions that bother me. I think that I wanted Pinterest to be better than Tumblr as it appeared to do everything right.

I hope you're right though that they will reconsider their terms, or just their about page to reflect what the site really is.

12 March 2012 at 10:39  
Anonymous Zoë, Conversation Pieces said...

Hmmm, I really, really wish there was a simple answer... one nice neat little resolve that could allow me to keep happily pinning. I think that for me is a huge part of the problem – that I blooming like the damn thing so much. I want them to change rather than for me to leave – but that seems unlikely doesn't it. :/

On being a blogger and pictures... I'm like you in that I originally reblogged other people's pics but I do so less and less now (and yes you're right, my pics are getting better (I hope!) because of it). When I first saw that I was getting traffic from pinterest, I was a bit weirded out... it's somehow strange seeing your pics up there on someone else's inspiration board. The only ones that ever bothered me where ones that didn't credit me as the source...

And that used to be the only thing that I thought was wrong with pinterest! The sourcing...

Ho-hum... Again, wishing there was an easier answer!

12 March 2012 at 20:51  
Blogger Rhianne said...

I think you're exactly right Zoe - I really like Pinterest - taking down my pins has been pretty heartbreaking if I'm honest.

I hardly ever repinned images on Pinterest thinking about it - I didn't trust other people to source properly, I always found the things that I wanted to pin myself and made sure I sourced them correctly and then liked other peoples pins. However in trying to do things properly I've actually out myself more at risk... and that too is incredibly annoying. Also, I have no idea how the liking of pins applies to the terms...

13 March 2012 at 14:08  
Blogger Christina said...

hey girl, i read this post a while ago and then read this post which i think you might find interesting/helpful: http://www.knoed.com/thewindowseat/an-update-on-pinterest/
i don't have a pinterest account mostly because having to deal with another social media outlet seems overwhelming to me but you bring up some really good points. you've given me much to think about :)

23 March 2012 at 23:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I it is good to read someone with the same opinion as me, who is in the same boat as me (as a blogger and photographer). I recently did a "reverse google image search" on some of my images and it was one of the worst mistakes, as I came across many of my images across Pinterest and tumblr's and weheartit.com without credit to me as the owner of the work.
I have been following Pinterest's issues for photographers and its terms of service through link with love: http://linkwithlove.typepad.com/

I read your most recent blog post too - and I will be staying away from Pinteresy for the same reasons.

27 March 2012 at 12:57  
Blogger Rhianne said...

I just did the same thing after reading this and found a few things I'd rather not have seen :/

I hadn't actually seen that on Link with Love, I'll have a look, thank you!

27 March 2012 at 14:24  

Post a Comment

I love love love getting comments! Have a wonderful day and thanks for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home